Pages

Tuesday 21 August 2018

Things I wear vs. Things I want to wear

Hi,

I just want to muse on my wardrobe today!

Basically I am starting to feel drab most of the time.

I work in a job where I don't have to be smart all the time. I wear a lab coat most of the day. I am still not the weight I would like to be (not sure I ever will be, I really do enjoy chocolate and carbs and do not enjoy forced exercise). I have an active 1 year old and want to be comfortable but I also want to look 'put together'.

Some current facts about me/my wardrobe:

I never actually use a wardrobe, everything is in boxes in an Ikea Kallax

I currently live in Dorothy Perkins Eden jeans. I have about 8 pairs.


I have a lot of basic tshirts.

My work wear generally consists of 3/4 sleeve tshirts/ stretchy tops.

I like things that are loose on my belly.

I don't like ironing.

I don't like a tight waistband - as soon as a sit down I feel uncomfortable and self conscious.

I never wear patterned fabrics other than stripes

I love a nice wrap dress but only own one.

I recently bought this dress for a wedding and felt quite nice in it.



I have a limited colour palette. 

I wear ugly sketchers shoes as they're comfortable.

I suit a v or a scoop neck

I would never wear a top tucked in

Even in summer I prefer to be relatively covered, I now steer away from sun vest type tops - especially with low backs - it is too much effort lathering myself in sun tan lotion to go out at lunch. After this amazing summer we have had (even up North!) I realise I cannot be in the sun, ever. I prefer a sleeve, especially for work.

In winter I need to be warm, I generally wear a vest top and a jumper. 

Here are the conclusions I think I have come to:

I want to wear more skirts / dresses.

I want to wear more prints and/or colours

I would be willing to iron more often for clothes I love.

I need to find perfect patterns. And buy them if needed.

I want to fully conquer some reliable patterns

I need to learn to cut and sew jersey well

Due to lack of time I need relatively simple projects. 

I would like to use my current fabric stash as much as possible. 

I do love fabric and I am not scared of repetition of a pattern if I love it. I think A Million Dresses is excellent (more active on her Instagram these days), the prints aren't in my confort zone but I love that she has found her style and stuck to it.

These are the clothes patterns I own that I think would help in bringing my conclusions alive:

hide
Cashmerette Appleton

hide
Cashmerette Upton
hide
Cashmerette Concorde

Can you see a theme yet?

hide
Cashmerette Springfield


Zinnia
Colette Zinnia
Unfortunately the Zinnia will need grading up to my waist size but i think it could work perfect, wide waistband and A-line shape (supposedly good for apple shapes)  - I need Cashmerette to bring out a simple skirt pattern!!!

And these are the patterns on my to-buy list - there is more cashmerette! I love her patterns what can I say

hide
Cashmerette Turner
A jersey dress, this is lovely and doesn't look too complicated to start sewing in jersey ( i know I have the appleton and the concorde but I think i will start with this one! Naughty I know)

Montrose Top PDF pattern
Cashmerette Montrose

I love the springfield but this is much more practical, a woven top with sleeves! This I think can be made is viscose which I love the variations can get (even if I don't love the ironing). Can also be made in cottons which are easy to pick up too.

Now I don't live in London it is much harder to go 'cheap' fabric shopping, but maybe that isn't a bad thing. I may only have specific projects in mind when I buy fabric, even though Leeds has a couple of really good fabric shops.

Well, this ended up quite long - sorry! I will be back soon with a 'to-do' list to give me a bit more motivation!

What do you think about making the same pattern many times? If it is one you love and suits you?

Thanks for reading!
Kristy 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I will try my best to reply to each of you as soon as I can. I love reading other peoples blogs so please include your blog if you have one so I can be nosey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...